If you want to eliminate any bother about the integrity of your precious personal items while they are on the road, thus removing high levels of stress from the equation of your upcoming home move, you need to do one thing and one thing only. Proper packing procedures are crucial to the successful completion of any relocation job, no matter whether it is big or small in scale. Here we are going to help you with that.
The golden rules of packing
Securely putting your items in boxes is probably the most responsible task related to your moving project. So if you do not feel fully up to it, you might want to sign up for the services of a moving company that offers packing, regardless if you’re moving long distance or moving in the same building. In those cases when you are certain that you are the one who should handle the job, then you should follow these simple yet crucial rules:
- It is of upmost importance to give yourself enough time to complete the packing without having to hurry through the process.
- Make sure to carefully label every box that you pack with its content. You are going to benefit from this is two main ways – first your movers will know what is inside the box and whether or not it is to be handled with extra care. Second, they will know how to arrange the boxes in the van and accommodate the faster and more efficient unloading.
- Do not be cheap. Packing supplies, including boxes, wrapping, foam, labeling materials etc. are not something you should be looking for ways to save money from. Buy durable materials that are not going to betray you on your moving day.
- When you start packing, work a room at a time. Once you are finished with the living room you can move to the kitchen, and then to the bathroom and the bedroom – you catch our drift. The idea is that in this way it will be easier to keep track of your progress and of course boost the feeling of accomplishment, which is something not to be underestimated.
- Keep a checklist of all items that need to be packed, so that you do not forget something important.
- Get your family involved in the process. On one hand, that will help you finish quicker, on the other it has the potential to become a rather bonding experience.
- Do not forget to pack a bag of essentials Those should include a change of clothes, any drugs you or a family member might need, all the important paperwork you will need during and immediately after your moving-in, a toothbrush, some canned food etc.
- It might be a good idea to carry out a house clearance prior to the packing so that you can get rid of any unnecessary junk in advance.
On a side note
Packing might sound like a lot of work, but in reality it is not. All you need is a little organization and you will not have a thing to worry about.